Friday, June 22, 2007

Chemo Round 2

Hello again, everyone!

If you are reading this blog, you probably know that I will have to have chemo again. I am starting next week, and will have 4-6 treatments every 3 weeks - so it will probably last 3-4 months. After that, I will have 6 weeks of radiation, just to make sure that I don’t miss my doctors after the end of chemo. :-)

The good news is that the final pathology results from my surgery revealed that I had only one isolated tumor (2.4 cm) in one lymph node and there is no cancer in the surrounding lymph nodes or other tissue. The bad news is that my cancer recurred despite the pretty fierce chemo I underwent last year. My Oncologist says that based on this, she now knows that my cancer is more aggressive than they previously thought. (I had a less than 10% chance of recurrence after Chemo and it still came back - Shannon beats the odds again!) So, my Oncologist feels that it's necessary to treat this aggressively in case there are cancer cells lurking elsewhere in my body that weren't killed by the last chemo.

This time, they are going to use different drugs that recent studies have indicated can be effective on the particular type of breast cancer that I have (which is “triple negative”, meaning Estrogen Receptor Negative; Progesterone Receptor Negative; and Her2 Negative). The drugs are called Docetaxel (Taxotere) and Carboplatin (Paraplatin). They are given simultaneously and each dose takes about 30 minutes. These drugs are not supposed to make me as sick as the drugs they used last time, which is good. The primary side effects for most people are fatigue (cumulative over time), hair loss (time to break out those wigs again . . . how I missed them!), and menopause-related symptoms (because my ovaries will be fried again).

My Dr. emphasized that we are still in cure mode - that I do not have metastatic breast cancer (e.g., cancer that has spread outside of the breast and can never be cured; only managed.) She also said that although I am no longer in the 95% survival range, this is still considered early detection, and there is a good chance that I will be done forever after this treatment and live a long life free of cancer.

Jeff and I are mad and sad, but doing okay and glad that we have the distraction of a new house to decorate and a big guest suite for our family when they visit.

Finally, I want to thank all of you for your e-mails, calls, and in some cases flowers/gifts. Since many of you generous folks killed enough flowers and made credit card companies too happy during my first round of chemo, I would appreciate it that if you feel compelled to give a gift or send flowers (which you should not!), please donate to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation instead: http://cms.komen.org/komen/Donations/WaystoDonate/index.htm It’s a fantastic organization and my real estate agent probably doesn’t want our house looking like a floral shop anyway – at least until it is sold. :-)

Much love,
Shannon

3 Comments:

Blogger Marsha said...

Shannon and Jeff,
I want you to know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you begin this new treatment, Shannon. I have no doubt that this latest battle will be fought (and won!) with grace and courage as it was the first time around.
I also want you both to know that I think you are an amazing team!
Stay strong and get well soon, Love,
Marsha Miracle

4:08 PM  
Blogger Claude said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers, too. Claude (P.S. "BB" is the name I picked because my first blog postings were to my sister's site, hence "big brother." I did not realize the handle would apply across the board.)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Sophie Coello said...

Hello Shannon,
You probably don't even know me but I know you through Jeff with whom I use to work many years ago. Even though I never had the great opportunity to meet you, I was checking your blog regularly last year. I have been touched by your incredible strengh and positive attitude and your sweet humour. I have to say that you gave me a big life "lesson"! Therefore, I became one of your "big fan", and going through my days, I would think about you and try to send some positive energy towards California! As I was reading your messages, I was convinced that you would beat this and I am convinced that you will once again. I believe very strongly that Mind and body are connected and yours is strong as a rock!
All this to say that you have some positive energy coming from the East Coast to add to the wonderful support you have from Jeff and, I'm sure, all your friends! Stay strong and keep writing!
Sincerely,
Sophie Coello
Royal Palm Beach
Florida

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home