Saturday, February 11, 2006

Some Good News

Hi, all.

Just a quick post to let everyone know that I tested negative for both breast cancer genes: BRCA1 and BRCA2. (I guess I'm not as Jewish as I thought.) :-)

This means that my risk of breast cancer recurrence and of developing ovarian cancer is MUCH lower than it would have been had I carried the gene, and that I don’t have to have a double mastectomy or have my ovaries removed. It also means that my mom, sister, and Zoe have a much lower risk of developing these cancers.

I still may elect to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction to reduce the risk of recurrence over the course of my life, but this is my choice. It's good to have options, but some tough decisions will need to be made during the coming weeks.

And no, if I decide to do the mastectomy and reconstruction, photos will NOT be posted on this blog. I draw the line at the bald head.

That's pretty much it!

Have a great weekend.

:-)

Shannon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home