Monday, February 27, 2006

Halftime (guess who thought of that title?) :-)

Hi, all. Just a quick update to let everyone know how I'm doing.

Last Tuesday I completed 4 out of 8 chemo treatments. Hooray! It feels good to reach the halfway point.

Although the effects of the treatments have increased with each cycle, my doctors inform me that I am doing very well compared to other people on the same regimen and that my blood counts are excellent. I am very grateful for this. Also, most patients find that the side effects of the chemo drug I will start next week (Taxol) are less debilitating that the drugs that I just finished (Adriamycin and Cytoxan; or "AC" for those in the know). So, in a weird way, I am looking forward to starting the Taxol.

The only curveball so far (more sports analogies) is the fact that I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection called Labyrinthitis last Friday. This is just a fancy ear infection that gives my cold-like symptoms along with dizziness and occasional vertigo. We had to make a few trips to the cancer center to deal with this, but I am now laying low, taking my antibiotics and recovering. Most importantly, my doctors say that I should be better within the week and that they most likely won't have to delay my next treatment.

So, other than being locked in the house for the time being, everything is going just fine.

Thanks for your concern!

Until next time,
Shannon

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon,
Sports analogies??? Well, we are hockey fans, so...
Since you've begun your "faceoff" with cancer, your "breakout" has been tremendous! Congratulations on reaching the "red center line" in your therapy - time for that new chemo "line change". Sorry to hear about the "slap shot" you received over the weekend; glad to see your "backcheck" (antibiotic) is helping you escape the "penalty box".
We are all cheering as you "breakaway" towards that successful "shot on goal". You are winning this game not only for yourself, but with a "hat trick" - three "power play" goals - Jeff, Zoe & Adam. Now, get better so the "Zamboni" can clear the ice!
Wayne & Jen

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon, no sports anaolgies here, just a simple note to let you know that Joe and I think of you and Jeff and Zoe and Adam so often and are happy to hear you are progressing so well. Hugs to you and the family.....Linda & Joe

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon,
I check your progress out your progress each week and keep you close to my heart. Your spirit always rings loud and clear. Hope to see you, Jeff and kids in the near future. My weekly grammie duty with the babies is the highlight of my life right now and wish you and your kids could spend more time getting to know these little guys. Hopefully soon
love you lots,
Lynne

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home